Sunday, November 4, 2012

Prayers for my husband tonight!

Tonight my Beloved is really on my mind.  I just don't enjoy roll out day at all.  Ok, truth is I hate roll out day.  Beloved always rolls in sometime Friday, usually late and is home until Sunday morning.  Friday is always wonderful because we know we will have him all day Saturday.  But Saturday always goes just to fast.  Then comes Sunday morning and he is off again.  I have noticed this is for many truck drivers.  There are a few that live near us that work for other companies than my Beloved.  I was driving to town this afternoon to pick up something for Erica's school project and noticed that rigs that were parked safely in their driveways yesterday were gone today.  It is hard not to notice, they stand so proud and ready roll.  When Beloved makes it home during the week, it is late and he eats, goes to bed, gets up in the morning and showers and woosh off he goes.  Sometimes it seems on those short nights we hardly get to even really talk.  Often on those short nights, Erica is in bed bed before Beloved gets home, then she is off to school in the morning and she never gets to see him.  So for Erica, Saturday is her only real day to see him each week. 

Many people don't really understand truck drivers.  Many people think they are nasty, rude, angry men.  I can tell you from being around them at truck stops and such that nothing is farther from the truth.  Never have I seen men rush to open a door for a woman the way they do at a truck stop.  When a truck driver at a truck stop is having trouble, there is always help from another driver, almost always without being asked.  Many times Beloved is having issue getting his tandems to move to get his weight evened out, seems every time he tells me another driver shows up to help him.  The other day he had a headlight out.  Not only did another driver holler at him on the CB to tell him, but when he got to the truck stop to fix it, another driver saw his hood open and came over to see if he needed help.  I can tell you that drivers don't do this for each other because they have time on their hands, nothing is farther from the truth.  They do it because they are polite and caring people who know the power of teamwork.  Can you easily anger a truck driver?  Sure!  Change lanes to closely in front of him.  Change lanes in front of him and slam on your brakes.  Do any other number of things to endanger YOUR life, his life and the life of others on the road.  Truck drivers are big on safety! 

So tonight I found a couple of poems that really fit how I am feeling tonight.  I would like to share them with you!

Prayer of a Truck Driver's Wife

Dear Lord,
Please bless my husband while he's out on the road. Please protect him from the wind and rain and cold. Help him to keep that big rig between the white lines so he can make it to his destination on time. May he find his back-haul quickly and make it home soon. Please light his night on the road with your stars and moon. Let him rest peacefully in his sleeper's bed, and please let there be a good meal and fresh coffee at the truck stop ahead. Help me to keep the home fires burning while he's out there movin' on. And give me the strength and wisdom to take care of things while he's gone. May the road he travels be clear and dry, and may not temptation catch his eye. Help him remember when he's all alone that his loving wife and best friend is waiting for him here at home.
Amen

Copyright © - Linda Smith
 
 
A Truck Drivers Wife

People often ask me,
How do you get thru?
You live your life alone,
And it is only you.

That is where they are wrong,
I don’t live my life alone,
I just live a lot of it,
By the ringing of the telephone.

I know how to handle things,
That most people couldn’t,
I even have had to handle the things,
My husband thinks I shouldn’t.

No I don’t live in a mansion,
But I do have everything,
I have a wonderful family,
And a husband who thinks I’m his queen.

Do I miss him while he’s out?
Every second I’m awake.
There are nights I go to bed,
Thinking how much more can I take?

I often go in circles,
Trying to handle things each day,
But being a truck drivers wife,
That is the price I have to pay.

I have the kids to raise,
And the paperwork to go through,
Then he calls and tells me,
That Diesel prices are going up again too.

He might have to take an extra load,
To make up the difference in the pay.
So he might just not make it home,
For just another day.

So tell me how many men,
Would sacrifice their life.
That is why I am proud,
To be a truck drivers wife!!

Copyright ©2004 Daubenmire

No comments:

Post a Comment